Thursday 18 June 2015

Day 18 - 30 Days Wild - Garden critters update!

I am starting to see more and more wildlife visiting the garden, on Day 18 I saw honeybees and my first sighting of a 7 spot ladybird this year!

The lilac bushes are still full of green shield bugs and I managed to get a pretty close up photograph of one - they are fascinating to look at.

Honey Bee
Green Shield Bug close-up!
A native (yay) 7 spot ladybird
A lot more of the summer flowers are starting to appear including poppies - I've never seen yellow poppies in the garden before, but they are very striking. The cinnabar moths are still around and probably getting ready to lay their eggs. I remember the garden was full of orange and black stripe caterpillars last year.

Beautiful yellow poppy
The cinnabar moths are still in the garden :)
The weirdest thing I spotted today was a spider hiding in its web among curled leaves. It looked like it had a big egg sack on its back too. Never seen this before and it was ingenious engineering from this creature in how it protect its eggs and itself. If anyone knows what type of spider would do this could you let me know :) (Twitter - @sandraevans) Thanks. 

(UPDATE! I have found out it is infact a nursery web spider).

Spider in a web among leaves
You can see the egg sack in this pic and some of the spiders legs

No comments:

Post a Comment