Wednesday 1 June 2016

Day 1 - 30 Days Wild - An Evening Garden Birdwatch

It's back! 

#30DaysWild - A whole month of doing cool wild stuff which I am super excited about it. In case you don't know what it is, for the second year running the Wildlife Trust have launched a campaign where they encourage people to do something 'wild' every day throughout the month of June. This is my second year to do it, I loved it so much last year I didn't want it to end and continued to carry on writing about my adventures in my main blog (www.sands-walks.blogspot.co.uk).

What to do for my first day? Well, unfortunately I had to work today and didn't get home until after six so I thought I would keep it 'very' local and for one hour I sat quietly and watched what birds come into the garden at evening...

*Today's random act of wildness - A evening garden birdwatch*

Well first off I would like you to meet 'Wildling the Fox' he will be my little mascot throughout the 30 days...cute isn't he and proudly wearing my #30DaysWild badge :)
Apart from fatballs, peanuts and coconut shells the birds love this concoction of mealworm and suet pellets. At precisely 6.30pm I put it out for them...
...within seconds we get our first visitor - a feral pigeon.
Next up the sparrows, mostly males tonight.
Then the noisy ones...the starlings
It all starts kicking off on the feeder between the starlings and the pigeons "he's behind you!"
A face off over the suet coconut! 
It's not long before the pigeons give up and move along leaving the starlings victorious of the feeder!
It's just past 7pm and already our list looks impressive!
Next visitor was a magpie...
...then more starlings with a few juveniles
Finally we finish our hour with a few jackdaws (the other is just off camera)

Phew! I thought it would be quiet this time of the night, but great to see so much activity in the garden and what a great way to kick off #30DaysWild with launching it with our regular feathered friends :)

The full list is:

  • Starlings - 7
  • Jackdaws - 2
  • Magpie - 1
  • Sparrows - 4
  • Wood Pigeon - 1
  • Feral Pigeon - 4

2 comments:

  1. Wildling is a very cute mascot! Lovely photos of the birds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab blog, well written and love the photos, oh and wilding too!

    ReplyDelete