Sunday 12 June 2016

Day 12 - 30 Days Wild - Exploring nature on my mum's birthday

* Today's random act of wildness - Nature with the family *

Sunday 12 June was my mum's birthday so myself, Dan, my sister and my mum went to a pub for Sunday Lunch. Dinner was nice (Butternut Squash lasagna) and after lunch we sat in the beer garden to see what 'wild' things we could see.

Beyond the garden is the River Afan and whilst my mum and sis were drinking their coffee we managed to spot Mallard, Wren, Robin and Grey Waytail.

Wren
Robin among holly (very festive in June!)
The River Afan
Grey Wagtail
Male & Female Mallard
After the pub we decided to go to one of my favourite nature reserves Parc Slip in Aberkenfig. The day had been quite dull, but now the sun was coming out and so did all the damselflies...hundreds of them! The feeder near the visitor centre was very active. Here's what we saw...

Siskin on the bird feeder
Chaffinch (male)
House Sparrows
Juvenile House Sparrow
Juvenile Robin
My mum, sister and Dan listening to recording about Parc Slip and the visitor centre in the background
Large Red Damselfly
Broad-Bodied Chaser (Male) Dragonfly
Male & Female Common Blue Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
Common Blue Damselflies mating
Hoverfly
Stunning Common Lizard
Wildling admiring the lizard

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous damselfly photos! I saw a robin and a fledgling in holly surrounded by pinecones earlier, very festive scene for June haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know, at least my Christmas Cards are sorted xxx

      Delete